We put our visions, thoughts, style, hard-earned into building it. When choosing the floor, wooden flooring is the homeowner’s favorite. Being expensive, durable, timeless, it gives a rich, understated, natural beauty to a home. Today, laminate wooden flooring, wood-like luxury vinyl, tiles, engineered hardwood are available for those who want the look of hardwood without paying the big bucks for it.
Variety of hardwood flooring
Natural wood grain patterns give the warm, luxurious, and rich feel to a home. Hardwood flooring Markham is available in various types, choose the one which feels close to your aesthetics, utility, and pocket.
- Solid hardwood flooring: The classic hardwood flooring is a single large piece of wood of 18-20 mm thickness. It is high maintenance and expensive too, as it requires periodical sanding and polishing. The drawback is that it shrinks in winter, and swells in monsoons. The most popular species of hardwood wooden flooring is maple, oak, walnut, mahogany, cherry.
- Composite wooden flooring: Aka engineered wood flooring, it is a great alternative to solid hardwood due to its being cost-friendly and easy-maintenance, highly durable, waterproof, scratch-proof. It is factory-made with the top layer being actual wood with a protective coating.
- Laminate hardwood flooring: Laminate wooden flooring is the cheapest of the lot, manufactured by fusing multiple layers, the bottom layer being moisture-resistant and the top layer with a photographic image of real wood has a protective overlay.
- Bamboo flooring: Highly sustainable option for wooden flooring, is made by compressing bamboo fiber under high pressure and temperature. Bamboo is naturally moisture-resistant, so it’s mold and mildew resistant.
- Parquet flooring: This decorative flooring can be made with both solid hardwood and engineered hardwood. It is made with small wood planks to create geometric patterns, basketweaves, herringbone to give a creative dimension to the interior.
- Cork flooring: It is eco-friendly, biodegradable, highly sustainable, resistant to mold, mildew, and pathogens. It is made of multiple layers from the barks of a cork oak tree, has a soft underfoot, retains heat, sound insulation.
Advantages of wooden flooring
Even being an expensive, high-maintenance flooring option, it can last for years. Let’s look at the pros:
- Lifelong investment: While decorating, it may seem a lot, but wooden flooring can outlive you with proper maintenance and has the highest return on investment as it increases the market value of your home. Today, hardwood flooring comes in both inexpensive and expensive options and they only need sanding and refurbishing to maintain the sheen and polish.
- Best for babies: Parents often choose wooden flooring for kids’ rooms. As it’s easier to clean and non-toxic, it’s better for kids’ motor skills when they are learning to crawl.
- Healthy air quality: Wooden flooring does not attract parasites like fleas, dust mites, pathogens, allergens, animal molds which lead to allergy, keeping the indoor environment safe and sterile.
- Organic: It’s getting popular as it’s highly sustainable, biodegradable, comes from a natural origin.
- Sound insulation: With hardwood flooring, you can avoid vibration. For a quiet environment, wooden flooring is the best.
Drawbacks of wooden flooring
- Cost: Hardwood flooring is installed over sub-flooring, and is quite expensive than tiles and vinyl. For installation, professional help may require.
- Avoid water contact and scratching: Clean wooden flooring with a light mop, not dripping water, and avoid hard detergents. Also, pets and kids make dents and scratches on the floor which leads to permanent marking which is quite visible.
- Termite attack: Termites attack on spruce and southern yellow pike, eat the flooring inside out. Keep this in mind before installation.
- Cupping and crowing: This occurs when the wood board edges are higher than the center, due to moisture content the boards expand and damage the edges. Crowning is when the center is higher than the edges in humid conditions. After sanding the edges, the wood needs to be dried up to avoid crowning.
- High maintenance: The wooded flooring needs to be refurbished every 3 years and needs to be cleaned regularly to avoid dust, debris which can cause scratches.
What to know about hardwood flooring Markham before investing
Factors to look for before purchasing the ideal hardwood flooring:
- The specific type of wood: While woods like African mahogany Kayu Kuku, teak are exotic for their color and grain pattern; and oak and walnut are the most widely used. Different wood has different colors, grain patterns, textures, choose what permits your pocket and aesthetics.
- Color, grain & appearance: For a vintage interior, you can go for wood planks with fine wood grains and distressed appearance. For contemporary settings, any kind of wood can be used with various stains and finishes. For conventional, oak, walnut wood flooring is best.
- Type of finish: While distinctive gloss finish gives the interior an aura of glamour, wire brush, hand-scraped, distressed hardwood flooring give a textured, interesting look.
- Cost and installation: while the cost depends upon the wood quality and finish, the installation is only a tenth of the price of wooden flooring, and yet it depends on the sort of flooring and installation of homes.
Choosing the right wooden flooring is a must. It depends upon your budget, utility, interior design, finish. Etc. At East Can Floor, we offer laminate wooden flooring, hardwood flooring, engineered hardwood in various finishes, stains. For the best quality wooden flooring, visit our website.